The “Supporting Democracy” project
The CivicTech4Democracy global online competition is an initiative designed and managed by the “Supporting Democracy” technical assistance project.
‘‘Supporting Democracy’’ is an EIDHR–funded technical assistance programme working with EU Delegations (EUDs) to strengthen the role of local civil society in advocating and monitoring democratic accountability. Our core team is based in Brussels and works with a large international pool of thematic experts and a backstopping team. The programme is implemented by a consortium composed of Democracy Reporting International (DRI), the National Democratic Institute (NDI) and Sofreco.
In response to EUD requests, we deploy international and local experts specialising in :
- transparency, representativeness and participation
- increased accountability of public authorities (national and local)
- sustainability of democratic processes
- constitutional and legal reform
- citizen/domestic election observation training and support
- public finance management
- mainstreaming ‘‘democracy with a small d’’ in other development programmes, e.g. trade, infrastructure, urban development, etc.