The online competition
Democracy is a core value of the European Union. Digital technologies have brought a sea change to how citizens engage in political action. This is the reason why, this year, the EU wants to celebrate the dynamism and creativity of activists across the world who use or create digital tools to bring democracy closer to the people.
Are you a Civic Tech innovator? Don’t miss the chance to showcase your ongoing or recent project to influential technologists, lawmakers, and fellow activists in Brussels, the capital of Europe! Submit your project now!
Three winning projects will be designated via online votes on this website. As soon as the competition kicks off, people will be able to watch the videos and vote for their favourite projects. Only votes on this website will be tallied. Please note that we will not take into account “likes” on social media — only votes on this website will be counted.
Three more winners will be picked by our jury. The jury will be composed of prominent civic tech and democracy experts. They will assess all projects based on criteria such as: its effectiveness, its usefulness, its originality, its sustainability, etc. The jury’s decision is final and cannot be appealed.
The awards ceremony and showcase event
All six winners will be invited to Brussels, the capital of Europe, to receive their EU Award, present their projects on a global stage, and meet foremost European Civic Tech experts, democracy specialists, and international donors.
The Awards Ceremony will take place during a special CivicTech4Democracy showcase event in Brussels, on 17 September 2018, on the eve of the International Day of Democracy.
The six winning projects will also be presented in detail in the first EU Civic Tech handbook.
Do not miss a great opportunity to showcase your project and get global recognition in the capital of Europe!
All contestants will be also awarded a participation certificate issued by the EU.
Competition Requirements & Principles
After you paste your video’s URL and complete your application on this page, your video will not immediately appear in the gallery.
Before making it visible on the gallery, the CivicTech4Democracy team will make sure that:
- Your video presents an ongoing civic tech initiative or an already completed civic tech project that took place after 2010,
- Your video answers the following questions: What was the problem? What was your goal? How did your civic tech solution help to address it? How did people benefit from your project?
- Your video’s soundtrack or captions/subtitles are either in English, Spanish or French,
- Your videos’s format and sound quality is adequate,
CivicTech4Democracy focuses on “civic tech that works for democracy”. It celebrates successful efforts, projects that have, or have had, a demonstrated effect on civic life.
Do you have a doubt? You have uploaded the wrong video? You wish to correct an information on the application form?
Write to us at email@example.com
The CivicTech4Democracy team and/or the CivicTech4Democracy Jury reserve the right to reject your application — or remove the project from the competition if at any stage it is informed that:
- The project/initiative presented in the video has no real existence or is vastly misrepresented,
- The identity of the project’s designer, implementer or manager is misrepresented,
- Online votes were artificially collected through automatic systems such as bots, or through paid advertising,
- The project was produced in direct support of a political party campaign before elections,
- The video contains hate speech, incitement to violence, religious intolerance, and any type of message that runs contrary to the EU’s commitment to human rights, fundamental freedoms and democracy,
Project rejections or cancellations on the above grounds are final and cannot be appealed.
Should you have any questions, feel free to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
“Supporting Democracy” reserves the right to make any changes to the dates, schedules and other information related to the Competition.